Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day-9 / 444 miles "Hot one"

Good evening, Today was a very hot day. We left Hell If I Know, Florida. around 8 this morning and rode down the rode a ways before we found a Waffle House for breakfast. At Pensacola, they have a Navel Air Museum and we almost stopped, but decided not too. I think in the back of our minds, we were going to try and make it all the way home today, so no stops for sight seeing. Loray didn't even want to stop in Biloxi, so we just kept on riding. By this time, it was getting very hot so that meant more pit stops. At this point, I don't think we care. Once we got close to New Orleans, we took Hwy 12 around and back on I-10. But that Hwy-12 just about did us in. Its not that long of a loop, but man the traffic was bad. had a couple of traffic jams due to road construction and of course more rain. We noticed that the clouds were forming off in the distant, so we decided to take a pit stop for food and put on our rain jackets, After about 5 miles back on the hwy, the rain started and continued for about 5 or 6 miles. It wasn't too bad, so we just kept going, but once it ended, man did it get hot again, so we made another pit stop and got rid of the jackets. By this time, we knew we were not going to make it home, so Loray started calling the hotels around Lake Charles, but every one she called, was full.
You know, i just love ABS brakes on this bike and I'm sure glad I got the bike with them on as we sure did need them. I will let Loray comment on this.
Anyway after a bunch of pit stops, we finally made it to a little place out side of Lake Charles and started going to all the hotels for a room and we found one. Its a motel 8. No bar or pool, but we did notice a sports bar across the street, so we walked over there and had a couple of beers and boy did that relax me. I really felt drained and tired. At one of the hotel:s, the sign said it was 105 degrees out, after I read that, stick a fork in us, we are done.
 We got to the hotel about 5:45 this evening, and I'm glad we stopped here for the evening.
Well tomorrow, we should be back home. Hopefully we will get an early start and be home by noon or 1.
We don't have many pics to post from today's travel.
 Good night.

Well Hell, our trip is coming to an end.  Now to the brake thing, we were coming over a big ass bridge, don't remember the state we were in.  Isn't that crazy, not remembering what state, I think it was Alabama.  Anyway the traffic started braking, there was a cop car w/lights on in the median and that's what Mark was watching.  But, there was another cop car w/lights on crossing I-10, all lanes.  Holy shit, this moron was creeping across the lanes, by this time everyone (except Mark) is braking in a major way.  So I scream in the intercom, he was able to stop the bike before mating it with a green Camry.  THANK GOD.  I have always felt like He rides with us, I am a true believer.  I think I lost 5 years off my life, so Mark and I are the same age now.  Other the that we had a fabulous day riding, in the hot humid air, on the hot blacktop, why do they make roads with blacktop, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that crap is hot.  Did I ramble just then?  OK I did, it's been a long week.  How Ya'll doin?

No comments:

Post a Comment