Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 2 / 475 miles


Well, after 475 miles we finally called it a day. We slept in this morning. it was 8:30 before we got up and by the time we got packed and loaded up, ate breakfast, it was 10 o'clock. thats ok though as we are on vacation and we are not on any time schedule. We took hwy 12 to hwy 59 north at Slidel. Hwy 59 is a pretty nice road. trees lined both sides of the hwy. Not a whole lot of traffic so most of the way we were going 80 mph. Boy was it a hot one today. 475 miles is not a whole lot of miles to do in one day, but for those that travel by two wheels know that most of the time you useally dont cover the same amount of miles as you would in a car. We would take a break about every 100 miles or so and then get back on and go about 80 miles and stop for gas and another break. Before we left, Loray bought a camel back. its a container that you can put ice and water in it and as your traveling you can get a good, cool drink of water. As some of you know, traveling by bike, getting dehydrated is comon thing, so with this heat, drinking water is a very good thing. in days past, I would have put some beer in there and felt just fine, but now I'm a little wiser and so water it is. There wasnt a whole lot of scenry to see on todays journey, but when we got on the other side of Birmingham, it changed for the better as we started to see a few hills. I call them mountains as coming from Odessa, any land that has a rise in it, to me, its a mountain. Around Odessa, its nothing but flat land as far as you can see. traveling by motorcycle is a wonderful way to see this great land of ours. you just get a whole new perspective on traveling.. Anyway, the scenery should be alot better starting tomorrow. Well, I found out my intercom does not have a mute button on it. Damn it. So far, this has been a great trip. The cagers have behave themselves. We called it a day at a place called Gadsden, Alabama. We are trying to stay at Best Western hotels as they give a 10% off to harley riders.  Well thats about it for tonight. We will have day 3 tomorrow.

Well that was Marks take on things, now for my version.  After about 150 miles my butt hurt, it was hot, my butt hurt,I ran out of water, did I mention my butt hurt. Now I'm listening to the news and they are saying hot and humid, well that just makes me feel right at home.  We did have a great day, anytime you keep the shiny side up, it's a great day.  No rain or crazy peeps on the road.  About 20 miles before we got to the hotel, a guy at the gas station asked Mark if he wanted to trade his bike for his truck, I can tell you it was awfully tempting.  Once we got to the hotel, we had an awesome dip in the pool, had dinner at Cracker Barrel and a hot shower, now I'm ready for bed.  Guess we'll post some pic's now.


Breakfast in Louisiana.







Lunch at Subway in Mississippi.


PEACE


Loray:My butt is hurting!  Mark: Where is the mute button?




Dinner in Alabama.


No comments:

Post a Comment