Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 5 / 357 Miles (I can't drive 55)



Well todays journey was a good day despite getting lit up. We did not cover  many miles today.  We had a late start this morning as we were just beat last night. We finally rolled out of the parking lot around 10 this morning. New York State line wasn't but a few miles away. We were looking for a couple of rual roads off of I-84 to take up to Montecello, but some how, we missed them. Big Mistake. We ended up going to Hwy 17 and taking a left which is kinda the long way, but that was our back-up road to take in case we missed the first 2. Well after we were on I-17, I was just looking around at all the scenrey. I new that we were on a road that they were doing or suppose to be doing some road repair, so the speed limit was 55. For the ones that have known me for a long time, well from the time I got my license to probably a few years after I got out of the Navy, I have a hard time driving the speed limit.. I wish I could blame that on a couple of guys that I grew up with, as they always had fast cars and they always drove fast, but Jackie and Jimmy had nothing to do with me and getting speeding tickets. Anyway, I was crusing along as I always do and sure  enough, there he was waiting for me. One of New Yorks finest. He clocked me going 70 in a 55. Now on this trip, we have passed a few of the lower speed limit signs with men working. So I just didn't think too much of it as I didn't see any men working. Anyway I got stopped and he wrote me up. We do have a picture to document this event.
 Well I guess I better get to the good parts of todays escapade. We did make it to Bethal and I thought it was a neat little town. If any of you have watched the documentary of Woodstock and they showed that little two lane country road leading to the field, well as we were riding that road, I think it was 17B, I was trying to imagine all those cars and people parked there and walking to the field. There is really no room at all. The area around the field is mostly just an old country town. Houses not very close together. It was down the road from White lake where the promoters wanted to hold the music festival, but the towns people put too much pressure on the city council, so the had to find a new place and fast. Well they did and what a find it was. Now I'm sure the festival grounds do not look anything like they did back then as when we walked in and around. iIcould not believe how pretty every thing looked, even the grass looked like a well maintain lawn. it was very impressive. I imagine  the field would be looking like, you know a field. Boy did they fix that place up. We were very impressed with the museum and all the stuff they had in there. Only thing we didn't like was you couldnt take any pics on the inside. Just as well, as we took one pic on the outside and the battery died on us. Boy did that make Loray mad and I dont blame her., but we had a back up plan, well kinda sorta. we do have a video camera that we bought along that you can also take still pics with, so after we got thru with the museum, we went outside to the festival grounds and took a few pics out doors. The problem with that is we looked for the cable to hook it up to the computer and couldn't find it, so that means not many pics from todays travel. Well I guess we could put a few more from yesterdays ride.
 Anyway any of you folks that are still into that era and like all the hippie stuff and the music  and the beads in your hair type stuff, we would highly recommend a trip to see it. you will not regret it.
 We left there and ended back up on I-81 going south. I ran the ideal about changing our route up and not even going to ride the  Blue Ridge Parkway because it is around 400 + miles long and the speed limit is around 50 with a lot of places to stop and take pictures. So the next two days will be long in the saddle, but not many miles covered. We will try and get off I-81 at Staunton, VA. and take 64 over to the Blue Ridge Parkway. and ride it till Thursday. then Friday morning, where ever we end up at Thursday night we will plot our course for home and probably get home sunday, not unless we are having way too much fun and decide to take another day. Before  left work, I did kinda throw it out there that in case I dont make it back home Sunday then I might not make it in to work Monday. My boss just raised his eyebrows on that one.
 I kinda dont want to do that as I was hoping to take a half day Tuesday and a half day Wednesday and take a ride to Austin as my oldest son is jamin with a couple of guys and they have a show lined up Tuesday night playing in a bar on 6th street and iIwould sure hate to miss that, but not sure I can get off that soon as we will just be getting back from this trip.
Tonight we made it as far as Shippingburg PA. and we pulled in around 7:45 tonight.
 We dont have many pics to post tonight. so I will let Loray put a few pics on here. I think Loray has done an excellant job taking pictures and as good as some of these pics are, they just dont do the country side justice as it is really an awesome sight to see. God really knew what he was doing when he made this part of the country.
 So thank you all for reading our blog and hopefully with your eyes closed, you can visualize from our trip what we are seeing. Hopfully we have descibe what we have seen well enough to do that, but I've never been very good with getting my thoughts from my head and out of my mouth.
Any way, will be back tomorrow night to visit with you again for Day - 6


Oh My Gosh ya'll, I am so glad I am able to strike this one off my bucket list.  I am so a flower child.  Had a blast on the grounds in Bethel Woods today.  I just stood there in the field and pictured in my mind what it must have been like.  After going through the museum, I was that much more in touch.  It was just an amazing experience, I wish I had been there in 1969.














No comments:

Post a Comment