Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 4/ 454 miles


 Man, today was a long day, but the scenery was pretty darn good. We got a earlier start than the other three days. We were up and on the bike around 8:00 this morning. Went down the road and stopped and had breakfast at Burger king.. got back on the road and was just taking in all the pretty scenery, mountains/hills were everywhere. You got to take a trip out here and see for yourselves. Weather was not a problem as it was kinda cloudy and not that hot at all.. I didn't squirm around much in the saddle today, but id did come to a conclusion that I needed to ditch my gel pad as I was not Jellin like Felon. When I first bought my Road king, I bought a jell pad to go on top of my seat for butt comfort, well, I think the jell  in it is not gellin as it is just not comfortable, so Loray let me try hers out and it seem to work pretty good., and besides, hers is fury,,LOL
Now on to todays journey. We did ride 454 miles today and we got an early start and we made it almost to New York state line and pulled in to the hotel at around 7:15. in Matamoras, PA. that's almost 12 hours of riding. Now i know what some of you are thinking. No we didn't get lost. We were in Pennsylvania on I-81 when right before we got to Scranton, traffic just came to a halt. Come to find out, there was a wreck about 4 to 5 miles up the road. We set in that line for about 45 minutes before we finally got to an exit and found a gas station. We sat there for about an hour and finally walked up to where we could see the freeway and saw that it had started to move a little.So we got back on the freeway and the going was still a little slow for a few miles. if any of you know anything about Harleys, being an air cooled bike, they do not like sittin idol.as they will burn up in a hurry. We finally found the road that runs close by Bethal New York, but while we were waiting for the traffic to get better, Loray was checking online for a Hotel around Bethal and she really didn't find one, so once we kinda found  the road into New York, we decided to go find a place for the night as it was getting late and we were not some place I would want to be riding when it gets dark as I imagine there are a lot of deer and other 4 legged varmints running around. they don't mix to well with bikers.
 If it hadn't been for the traffic delay, I think we could have made it to New York and pretty close to where Woodstock was at, as now we are probably an hour or so away.
With todays events, I think that we may have alter our trip now as I don't think we will be able to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and still make it home by Sunday, so we will probably plot a new course for the ride home. Oh and as we were going north on I-81, we looked over and going south on I-81, was some kind of construction and traffic was down to one lane and it was backed up, i bet for at least 8 miles and i just don't want to be caught up in that tomorrow.
 Now about the scenery. It is just awesome up this way. When we started out this morning, the further we went north, the better it got. then when we got into West Virginia and then Maryland, it wasn't so much as mountains or hills, just a lot of what i would call, rolling hills and a lot of farm land, but after we got into Pennsylvania and got up into the montains there, wow, what a ride and what a view. I think Loray kinda stop taking pictures there as I think I might have been a little guilty of riding a little too fast, so therefore, she was kinda hangin on. You know, I was wondering why the intercom got quite there for an hour or so.. But you know, those roads up in the mountains were just so inviting to just do some really good cruising, of course there was a few cars and 18 wheelers to tend to.
 I feel like I've been just rambling on about nothing as my brain is a little tired. if I was talking right now, Id really be stuttering. I do that when I get tired. Despite the traffic fiasco, today was a pretty good day. Loray wanted to be in New York tonight, dad gumit, we almost made it.
 Not sure what our course will be tomorrow, or where we will end up at, so you will just have to come back and sit a spell and see where we are at.


Mark was right the site was awesome.  We were going good and to the plan until the traffic jam.  We ended up parked next to an 18-wheeler while we were waiting for them to clear the accident, he invited us to a biker thing in Missouri in August.  We still haven't found any rude people, and the guy at the hotel gave us a 30% discount for being Harley riders.  It did rain a little while we were waiting the the traffic to move and then the temps dropped, we both had to break out the jackets.  Yes we were wearing jackets while ya'll were wanting to run around naked in Houston.  OK...picture this...riding on the back of a motorcycle up, I mean UP in the mountains..going 90 or close to it...zooming by 18 wheelers, lines of them, not just one or two, around curves that you couldn't see the end of....  What the heck do you think I was doing? Now I know why he didn't slow down, just wait till tomorrow.....WOODSTOCK here I come!

The hotel from last night.


















Maryland didn't have a sign and they have ugly cop cars too.

It's already midnight here, will post more pics later.

No comments:

Post a Comment